A fair warning to those of you who are less than interested in running in general.
For those of you still with me, I have to describe the weird thing that happened this morning while doing intervals.
So two weeks ago, I ran my fastest 400m interval ever - 2:01! This was faster than my previous PR by a whole second, and faster than my "average time" by about 10 seconds. I was hugely psyched and couldn't wait for the next week's session to see whether I could match it again. The weekend after that though, I promptly came down with a chest cold. (Weird I know - In the summer? Who gets colds in the summer? This was my first.) So the retry had to wait another week.
This morning I got a late start and my legs were quite sore from lifting weights yesterday. I resolved that I would get out there and do my best although I suspected lingering coughs and chest congestion were going to make it very difficult. So it was with great surprise when I pushed stop at the end of the first 400 and registered 1:58 on my watch. 3 seconds faster after being sick? This was getting weird.
So I told myself to slow it down a little or I wouldn't make it through the 3 more 400s that I had planned on doing.
The second 400 felt much slower, I was guessing 2:08 would be my finishing time. I pushed stop on the watch, looked down and saw 1:49.89. I came to a stop and my mouth dropped open. I quickly began calculating all the ways that I could be screwing up pushing start and then pushing stop. Brian wasn't there yet so I ran back to the car to get my cell phone to record these times. Brian showed up around that time and laughed as I tried to figure out how to write a memo on the phone. After explaining to him that I may never see these times again, he reminded me that there were two left and I trotted off to do them.
I was sure the last two couldn't break 2 minutes, I was just too tired. But I did! I ended up with 4 amazing times (for me) that I'm sure will carry me for at least a year.
1:58.48
1:49.89
1:52.37
1:56.21
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulations ! 1:49 is awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are truly some fast quarter miles. It is most likely a result of your high altitude training combined with the abnormal amount of meat consumed while on the family slumber party trip :-)
Steve
Even though I don't know much about running, that sounds impressive. Good job! Where are the details about the family slumber party trip?
-- Jenji
Post a Comment